Friday, September 28, 2007

Learning a new language - Korean



Ever since I watch the korean hit drama Dae Jang Geum, I always have an interest in the history of korea, especially in the Josean Dynasty. If you had watched the drama, you should know that the tradition costume ChangJin wore was called the hawbok. It consists of a small jacket and a long flowing skirt, usually a darker colour than the top. A bow was tied to the top jacket more to the right.

Now, let's get back to the topic. I just wrote that I have an interest in Korean history, but not only that! I want to learn how to speak a bit of korean too! You know, when I watch another Korean drama Sweet 18 at 7:00pm, I don't really understand what they are talking, and I have to read the English subtitles to understand.

Well, I will tell you about this really funny show! There was a korean girl who was only eighteen and she has already married Hseon-Jin, who was far older than her. Zhen-Shu felt very timid but she gathered her courage and managed to say the 3 words (you should know!!!) to Hseon-Jin. Just like the Cinderella story. They ended up living happily.

Now, I have learnt quite a few korean words, like excuse me, what?, sorry, I can speak a little korea, and many others. Delia asked me why I keep staring at my notebook and mumbling to myself, so I told her the truth and she knows how to speak a little korean too! Delia says that it is fun and exciting to communicate in korean. I agreed.

No comments: